Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What a difference a smile makes!

Our oldest was really nervous to go to church on Sunday. She felt so worried about not having any daddy or any friends in a different place (we are going with Grandma and Grandpa for a little while). I talked to her about making new friends, and making sure she smiled at everyone instead of crying or frowning.

I was so proud of her. She tried so hard! We sat behind a really nice family with four darling kids. One of them, a little girl, turned around to peek at our girls. Our 5-year-old was shy at first, but I watched her out of the corner of my eye. She took a deep breath and....smiled. :) The little girl turned back around. Our daughter seemed perplexed, but I gave her a thumbs-up. When the little girl in front turned around for another peek, our daughter was brave and smiled again. :) This time, the girl smiled back.

She was elated! I was so proud of her. She can be so shy, and I completely understand how that feels, so I was so proud of her for making such an effort to be friendly.

Next I saw her sifting through my purse. She found a scrap of paper and a pen and drew a smiley face and wrote, "hi!" She then folded it into a microscopic wad and passed it to the little girl. The new little friend then took a minute, folded up her own little note, and passed it back.


I don't care if it was irreverent or not to be doing in church. I was SO happy and so proud of my daughter. As the meeting progressed, so did the little notes, ending with one to my daughter that said, "Do you want to be pen pals?"

As we had talked that morning, I had sensed my daughter's true worry and loneliness. I had prayed silently on the way into church that she would be blessed and helped in this difficult time for her. I know that Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers, and that He loves all of His children and cares deeply for them. I am so grateful for that sweet little girl, and for her kind parents who let her write notes to my daughter. :)

4 comments:

chantilita said...

That's so cute! :) How sweet! I miss you guys! I'm glad she made a friend :)

kannie said...

Oh, so sweet!!! Poor little kiddo - I LOVE when our parental concerns turn into parental pride and satisfaction! :-) Great job to #1!!! :-) (And learning that other people are just as shy as we are is a GREAT life lesson!!! :-)

Annie Sunshine said...

Hey...I am so excited that I found your blog. It seems like it is so hard to stay in touch with all our friends and family when we are so far away. I have loved this blogging thing, and was excited to find your blog link on Jerolyn's blog.

Wade wanted me to follow links on her page to find long lost relatives, and I was really excited one of them was yours. It seems like forever ago when we used to see you at BYU. I love the Yoga stuff, and you look awesome. Sorry you are away from your hubby for a while. That is so hard.

Anyway, our blog is private, but I would love to send you an invite if you'd like to have one.

You can send me your email to chickenlittlefinger2@hotmail.com, I know it is a funky address, but I have a funky husband, and it is his junk mail address. (It is the only one I am willing to publish online).

It was fun to read a few of your posts, when I have time I will try to go back further and figure out why you are moving, about homeschooling, and all your other adventures.

-Annie Ipson

Tara and Dan said...

I love this story!! Just another example of what a wonderful mother you are :)